Toxoplasmosis or E. Coli are probably the most well known zoonotic diseases and one rarely hears of a instance where a disease is transmitted from a horse to a human. However, a woman died from an illness that appears to have been contracted from a horse that she had contact with.
An elderly woman who ran a horse boarding and riding facility in Washington came into contact with a horse before it began taking antibiotics for Streptococcus equi zooepidemicus. The CDC report suggests that the age of the deceased may have been a contributing factor.
The CDC report can be read here.
You can read the story here.